Friday, August 28, 2009

Hello, Weekend!

Wow, it really is Friday night! The work week has finished, the house has been straightened, and all of the doctor appointments are over. As I look back on the last five days, I see the Lord's hand in every area of my life. For the time being, God is giving me the ability to carry on each day free from the kind of dehibilittating pain that messes up my electrolytes or puts me in the hospital. I had that kind of pain every day during my first year of living with active HPS. So I know what life could be like and therefore I'm more grateful for the good moments I experience right now.

I took my Methotrexate by "oral injection" on Wednesday night and this morning. So far, I have not dealt with any adverse side effects. Several people have asked what oral injection means. Basically, the medicine is in liquid form contained inside a little glass bottle that I keep refridgerated. The appropriate dosage is drawn up into a syringe. Finally, the syringe is released into the mouth, a glass of drinkable liquid, or given as a shot. With my Methotrexate, Mom releases the syringe into a small glass of cola. I used a spoon to disolve the medicine and then I just drink the cola. For some reason, the directions on the bottle say to take the Methotrexate with either orange juice or cola. Since I'm allergic to oranges, I have to use soda, which is perfectly fine with me. The liquid Methotrexate is yellow just like the pills, but it doesn't have a distinctive, nasty taste.

Yesterday was Remicade Day. That went well, because I took a Benadryl that made me very sleepy and lessened the pain from the saline. Infact I got a two hour nap while the infusion was taking place. Meanwhile, Mom and Qavah shopped nearby and then joined me near the end of my treatment. Now, unless something bad happens, I don't have another medical appointment until September eleventh.