Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Recap Of Doctor's Appointment

Thank you for the prayers and emails regarding my GI appointment. Prayers were answered in a way that amazed and blessed me. Mom joined me in case I had electrolyte issues, but thankfully, nothing eventful happened. On the way home, we were thanking the Lord for His faithfulness in honoring and answering our prayers.

While Mom and Qavah waited patiently for over an hour, I had my exam in a "procedure" room at he doctor's office. The two nurses that helped me were kind, calm, and thoroughly explained the procedures beforehand. The lower GI scope went better than expected and was productive. My GI doctor was able to detect what had been the source of the bowel bleeding and has given me directions of what to do over the next ten days to (hopefully) remedy the problems.

In addition to the actual exam, I also received results from last week's blood labs. My liver enzymes are elevated. My GI doctor wants to monitor levels by taking more blood work in a couple of weeks. Mom and I have a hunch that the liver enzymes may be elevated because I am not absorbing my Methotrexate which assists in keeping inflammation to a minimum. Inflammation may be blocking the bile duct which would be one reason my test results were high.

After consulting with my hematologist and working with a very understanding pharmacist, I'm going to try taking my Methotrexate in liquid form instead of swallowing pills. The labs I'll have in two weeks should also show if I'm absorbing the Methotrexate (and my other medications). For someone like me with absorption issues, liquid drugs are better than hard tablets. I take my first liquid dose of Methotrexate tomorrow evening when I return home from work.