Friday, August 7, 2009

Health Update

It's been awhile since I've done a health update, so now is a good time. Over all, I am doing really well. This has been the "quietest" summer health wise since I was diagnosed with HPS three years ago. I have had small issues, but nothing that has kept me from work, enjoying company, and family festivties.

In the last two weeks, I have experienced on and off bowel bleeding. My GI doctor is aware of the issue, but for now, it's not serious enough to schedule a colonoscopy. When I visited my Hematologist this week for a routine visit, he said, "Well we know by now how HPS works. We could do all sorts of tests, but they probably would come out as being normal. Unless it gets worse, just keep living and don't worry about it. You can always call me if it gets to be serious, but I think you are okay right now." The only change in my medications is that my hematologist wants me to increase my Methotrexate to fourteen pills instead of twelve, resulting in a weekly dose of 40mg.

My summer respite from doctors has ended. The hematologist was seen on Thursday. Next Wednesday (August 12), I'm visiting a doctor to see about having some spots taken off my face. They aren't cancerous or anything like that, but they do get sore sometimes. My PCP made the referral after checking it out at my last appointment with him. On August 27, I have another Remicade treatment. A day later, I visit the "dentist" for a tooth cleaning and exam. Two weeks later, on September 11, I visit the Pulmonologist for my annual PFTs and routine exam. I also need to schedule an appointment with the opthamologist. At first they wanted to schedule my pulmonogy appointments for September 4th, but I told them I didn't want to do that on my Birthday. Fortunately the receoptionist understood. *grin*