Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Peace Despite Health Woes

Yesterday, I visited my GI doctor, because I've been experiencing intense pain, bloating, and intermittent bowel bleeding for the past four weeks. The end result of yesterday's visit is that I have yet another appointment scheduled for next Tuesday where my GI doctor will inspect my small intestine. If he doesn't find anything abnormal, then we'll wait until after my Remicade treatment to do further diagnostic testing or a colon cleanse. The hope is that the Remicade will correct everything that has gone awry. *sigh*

In addition to the recent doctor appointments, I've been fighting a mild sickness since Saturday. It's not exactly a cold or a flu, but a lighter combination of both. Fortunately, I've been able to work each day this week. That is cause for great praise to our Heavenly Father! As my Aunt Lil so appropriately exclaimed in a recent email to me, " It's wonderful that you have been able to do [so] well this Summer, with its ups and downs, but have also been able to keep working. That would have seemed totally impossible last Summer." She is exactly right! Looking back, I was not able to work, let alone imagine doing so while fighting a normal virus. Instead, I was getting over a fractured rib.

Over the last three years, I've seen how quickly circumstances can turn from good to bad to worse. However, I've also learned - more importantly- how readily available the Lord's strength is when I rely on Him. God daily lavishes His grace and mercy upon me in many ways! One example is the peace I have within my soul admist the recent health battles I'm faced. I know the calmness I'm experiencing comes only from my Heavenly Father. It's only Him that is keeping me from going insane with "what iffs" and "how tos".

"If God be our God, He will give us peace in trouble. When there is a storm without, He will make peace within. The world can create trouble in peace, but only God can create peace in trouble." -Thomas Watson