Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Stained Glass Life

Several weeks ago when "Grammy Helen" was here visiting, we shopped at a local antique store. I told Helen that I was looking for an antique wedding dress or picture to hang above my bed. Mom, Helen, and Qavah patiently and joyfully looked among many plates, clothes, and other "treasures" in hopes of fulfilling my request. I did not find what I first intended to use in my bedroom, but something even better! This stained glass piece of art is exactly what my room re-do needed in order to be "complete". The shape, the colors, the design; it's all so beautiful and goes with my bedroom decor perfectly! Even at night time, the moonlight shines through the stained glass enough that I can admire the birds and flowers while lying in bed.



The first time I saw this stained glass window, I was intrigued with how the light made the artwork "come alive." In general, it is sunlight illuminating behind the designs that make stained glass worth owning. Likewise, it is "Son-light"- Jesus Christ - that make our lives "glow". Apart from the inner presence of the Lord in our hearts, we present to the world a "dead" piece of art. Others may see what they believe is a pretty design, like the flowers and birds on my stained glass window, but as they get closer, they realize it's a facade of dullness and dimness.

However, if we have accepted the Lord as our personal Savior, than He can transform our hearts and lives into a gorgeous peace of art. In fact, as Christians, we are called to live in such a manner that draws others to God. Others should be so "intrigued" with our lives that they start wanting what we have, which is the presence of the Lord. I am thankful that my life has been "stained" with the shed blood of Jesus. And my daily prayer is that the perfectly true and pure Light would continue to shine in and through my life, making me a beautiful piece of glass for others to admire His handiwork.

"Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16