Sunday, June 21, 2009

Expandable Love

Today is my nephew, Nehemiah's, first birthday. He's a relaxed, smiley, easy-going little guy. It is a blessing to have him a part of our family! It's fun to watch his big sister, Annelise, interact with him. A couple of weeks ago, he began to crawl and now can he cruises on the floor so fast! Nehemiah's name means, "God is my comfort".

I remember back when I found out that Colin and Jennifer were expecting their second child. Besides being happily surprised, I thought to myself, "I wonder if I need to do something in order to love this new child as much as I love Annelise." I actually questioned my own heart's ability to expand its "love capacity". Of course my fears quickly evaporated the moment I saw Nehemiah. He was a content and cute baby, not to mention wonderfully and fearfully made (Psalm 139:13-15).

My heart's ability to love another person unconditionally is also true of God. In fact, the Lord's love for each person goes deeper and wider than what any human heart can muster or fathom. 2 Peter 3:9 states, "He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance," and believe in His Son, Jesus Christ. So, on this Father's Day as I celebrate Nehemiah's birth, I also rejoice that a Heavenly Father exists with an expandable heart, full of love and mercy.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son." John 3:16-18