Thursday, May 7, 2009

Bumping Along

So often the HPS community refers to their life as a journey. Well, my family encountered some health-related speed bumps this week that felt more like pot holes. After four weeks, Mom and Dad are still getting over the cough of the nasty flu/cold/bronchitis they had. By Tuesday night, Qavah seemed to be feeling better. In fact, she was supposed to get a transfusion this week, but her counts were high enough that it was postponed until next Wednesday. However, Qavah did wake up this morning with another runny nose and cough.

On Monday, I had some "rainbow" sherbet. What I didn't realize was that it contained orange juice concentrate. Combined with the caffeine tea I drank earlier in the day, my body was a mess by Monday night. I had huge, nasty bruises, petechiae, and an itchy rash all over my body! A shower eased some of the misery, but it did not stop the bleeding. So I had to take one squirt of Stimate (DDAVP). While Stimate does stop the bleeding, its side effects are not pleasant, which include (I'm listing it here for those who may need to know): Agitation, chest pain, chills, dizziness, fluid retention and swelling, indigestion, insomnia, itchy or light-sensitive eyes, pounding heartbeat, rapid heartbeat, sleepiness, and vomiting. I've mostly dealt with chest pain, headaches, sleepiness, fluid retention, and dizziness.

I did not go to work yesterday, but I did work half a day today. By tonight, the Stimate has mostly worn off, so I am feeling better. The rash has healed and the bruises are slowly disappearing. I do still have a nagging headache, but that my be due to seasonal allergies.

This week's sicknesses make me very thankful for the healthy days my family has had the last several months. I'm also grateful for the each day spent away from the hospital, where my family can enjoy the peace and beauty of our earthly home, while looking forward to our perfect, Heavenly home. "[God] will wipe every tear from our eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." (Revelation 21:4)