Thursday, December 11, 2008

Thursday's "Troubled" Times

First thing this morning, I left a voice mail message with my hematologist's nurse. Then, I turned my thoughts to my home visit. While I was completing the intake, Mom was at home where she talked with the nurse over the phone to explain the issues with my body. By the time I got over to Lewis Gale's oncology/hematology center, the nurse had already worked me into their busy schedule. Although my regular hematologist was away, I was able to see the physician assistant who was aware of my HPS-related health issues.

Labs were drawn, which actually showed an improvement in my WBC, RBC and platelet count since two days ago. Nobody liked the many bruises all over my body (I don't blame them! They are pretty shocking to see.), but there wasn't anything that could be done immediately to remedy the problems. So, I was "cleared" to proceed with my Remicade i.v. treatment, which was already scheduled for this afternoon. Mom and Qavah stayed with me this time, because we weren't sure how I'd do. Everyone watched me closely, but I was able to have the infusion without any new side affects, besides the usual sodium-related headache and fluid retention.

This week's electrolyte issues are most likely related to the Boniva treatment I had last Friday. This afternoon, the physician assistant said that people often feel "flu-like" after a Boniva infusion, so that explains- in part- the tired and icky feeling I've had all week. In addition, one of my other doctors did some research and discovered a correlation between Boniva and electrolyte issues such as low magnesium, low calcium and high sodium levels, which is what I've experienced since the infusion.

Tonight, I am feeling a bit better although still weak. Lord willing, I'm going to work tomorrow to make up for the time I've taken off this week. Thank you for the prayers and emails! I know I have an entire support network "out there" of cheerleaders and prayer partners. I really appreciate you.