Sunday, December 7, 2008

Season of Giving

It is getting late and Mom did an excellent job of summarizing the weekend on Campbell Family Journal, so I am not going to write a long post about it. However, I do want to say how much fun I had this weekend. I have not helped with "intensive" housework in almost three years and so it felt good to return to something that used to be so "normal" for our family.

Even though there are parts of every project that get stressful or boring, the overall work is a joy to do, especially when I can work alongside Mom. Yesterday, I overheard Mom ask Qavah, "When you grow up, can you be my friend like Sister Kathryn? Can you help me like she does?" I smiled to myself, imagining Qavah being even more of a friend then she already is right now. I also smiled, because I have so many fond memories of home improvements, craft projects, wrapping gifts, and company preparations.

Part of the reason I love Christmas time is because it's a season of reliving the joys of hospitality. For Mom and me, the preparations of blessing others with our home, attitudes, and possessions brings a twinkle in our eyes and a bounce in our steps.

My prayer is that the festive, but peaceful "holiday cheer" that others may experience in our home right now will be felt throughout the coming year. Christ, who willingly became a humble baby and then a servant among sinful "men," is our family's example.

"We love because He first loved us." (1 John 4:19)