Monday, November 24, 2008

Eventful Health Weekend

My health has been amazingly stable until Friday night when I ate something for dinner that caused an allergic reaction. It's my fault, as I should have been more careful. However, I didn't realize that one of our dishes contained ginger in it. So I ended up eating the same food on Saturday afternoon.

My first clue that something had happened was when a rash started. Qavah took one look at me and stated seriously, "You are very pink." At least she knows her colors. Then breathing troubles followed. I immediately took a Benedryl, which stopped the allergic reactions, but caused me to retain fluid and sodium.

Yesterday, I was so swollen that my cheekbones hurt and I had a pounding headache for most of the day. Last night, I was in utter agony. So, Mom gave me a hot pad and prayed for wisdom and relief. The Lord heard and answered her prayers! Not long after I went to bed for the night (around 7:00pm), Mom was "inspired," by the Lord with a quick and pressing thought, "Kathryn needs more Prednisone!" Suddenly, the mysterious symptoms of nausea, ankle soreness, chills, breathing issues, and headache all made sense.

My body was stressed from combating the allergic reactions, which in turn, caused my adrenal system to work extra hard. I had been told several months ago by my endocrinologist and hematologist that I'd need to have extra Prednisone when my body was under attack from environmental factors, surgery, or sickness.

Fortunately, I've been feeling better since taking the extra Prednisone. I actually fell into a deep, healing sleep. I woke up a few minutes ago, because my water bottle needed filling. I decided to quickly post while I was awake, because I knew the writing would make me sleepy again.