Monday, November 10, 2008

Monday's Memories

When I was seven years old, I received the Samantha Parkington American Girl doll for Christmas. I remember imagining the many hours of fun I would have being mommy to my new daughter Since Samantha wasn't a baby doll, I "adopted" her and she came home to me just like I did with my family. I also changed her name to Samantha Rose-Parkington Campbell.

I played with Samantha so much that her hair was straggly after just a few years, so Mom trimmed her hair short. Then, she never did look the same as the doll I was so excited about on that Christmas Eve. However, I still tried to give her a good up-bringing.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I learned that Samantha Parkington would no longer be available for purchase after this Christmas. So I decided to finally send my Samantha Rose to the Doll Hospital for some tender loving care. This All-American doll came home today with a smile on her face, a hospital gown (which I should wash because of MRSA), her idenification wrist band, a balloon that says "Get Well Soon," and discharge instructions. Smantha Rose has been cleaned and her hair was replaced. She is now ready for a new generation of care-givers, but I will always be her Mommy.