Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Medical Update

Well, the car-ride (transportation) company I used this week to my medical appointments went well. They called me about two hours before my appointment to make sure I was still going. Then, they arrived at my work fifteen minutes early, so I ended up being quite a bit early at the doctor's office.

Yesterday's appointment was to see the orthodontist. I had to have molds made for the new retainers I pick up next week. Today's appointment was to visit the pulmonologist to discuss the results of my ct scan. While I'm not surprised at what the doctor found, it was sad and sobering news to hear. My left lung has a few "dark" patches that are consistent with the early stages of pulmonary fibrosis. Also, the pulmonologist believes I have asthma. He gave me a two week supply of a medicine I'm supposed to inhale twice a day. I also got a prescription for the Abuderal I had been trying for the past month. I'm supposed to use the Abuderal for "break through" attacks, such as if I've walked a long distance or I'm exposed to smoke-filled room. He said that even if I don't have trouble breathing, I should still use the Abuderal often to protect the lung capacity I have right now.

Tonight, I attended a missions conference, so my spirit is refreshed in one sense. I really needed tonight and the message I heard, because today was just a difficult day all around. I had a very keen awareness all day that this Earth is not my home. I'm thankful that my hope can be in the Lord, who is true, merciful, just and sovereign. I long for others to have the same kind of relationship that I have with God. I long for others to be filled with the power of the Lord Jesus Christ and to have the peace that I can have as I go to bed tonight. No matter what happpens here, I know that the Lord is working everything out for my good and that someday, "every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that He is Lord".

When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?" The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain." -1 Corinthians 15:54-58