Monday, October 13, 2008

Weekend Blessings

In many ways, this past weekend felt like the Fall break of college. I got a lot done, but also had time (and energy) to attend some special events.

The Steven Curtis Chapman and Michael W. Smith concert was totally awesome. I was expecting both artists to sing mostly songs from their most recent albums. Instead, both MWS and SCC chose songs that spanned the range of their musical careers. In fact, I heard some songs from their very first CDs. These men also let the audiance sing along, so by the night's end, I had worshipped the Lord with my voice not just in my heart.

Last night, I attended Bible study. The group is beginning a study on Glatians using a book Blackaby taught. Yesterday, though, we took turns reading aloud the entire book of Galatians. Then, we discussed the main themes of the Book of the Bible. I also enjoyed a very lovely chicken chili supper.

It's interesting, because both events (Saturday night and Sunday's Bible study) highlighted the magnificent hope we have in Christ. Steven Curtis Chapman shared his testimony of how the Lord has carried his family through the tragic death of his five-year-old daughter Maria just four months ago. He talked about how he questioned his ability to keep singing right after Maria's home-going. Steven said, "I'm standing here only because of the grace of God. I know without a doubt I will see my little Maria again. And I sing these songs to you only because of Christ's power in giving me the strength and hope to keep going and not just keep going, but to live out the Lord's will with joy, despite the deep sorrow our family has daily. The Lord is good. No, He is great". You can imagine I was sobbing by the end of Steven's testimony!

The Chapman family is such an inspiration to me because they have chosen to keep following the Lord, despite having every earthly reason to stop. And yet, I have an entire list of names in the back of my mind of people who still praise the Lord despite tremendous suffering.

Tomorrow, I begin another work week feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. And it's not so much because of what I got to do this weekend as it is Whom I got to fellowship with and "intensely" worship.