Saturday, October 4, 2008

Pulmonary Function Test Results

I tried my best with yesterday's pulmonary tests, but they were difficult and tiring. As I was breathing into the machine, I knew the results would not be good. However, I wasn't quite prepared for what I found out. My pulmonologist was kind, but it was evident he didn't like the tests results. I'm in trouble anytime my doctor starts out by saying, "Well...[long pause]... I have good and bad news."

I'll understand the numbers better at my follow-up appointment, but this is what I did find out. The good news: over-all, my lungs are pretty much the same as last year. The bad news: the amount of air I can get in and out of my lungs (both into my blood stream and for activities like eating, sleeping, walking, and running) has gone downhill considerably in just one year. The lung force volume last year was sixty percent. This year, it's down to forty one.

My pulmonologist also said that my lung tissues appear "restricted," so he has set up a CT scan for next Friday. Both of us don't expect the CT scan to show all that much, but the pulmonologist wants to play it safe, while also getting a baseline for future tests and appointments. Finally, the pulmonologist gave me an Albuterol inhaler to use the next few weeks to see if it helps my breathing. One interesting fact I learned yesterday is that Crohn's can actually affect the lungs. Thus, making the results of next week's CT scan a bit difficult to interpret, albeit necessary.

Last night, I went to bed early and slept for twelve hours straight. How wonderful! Then today, I played with Annelise and Qavah. Mom and I spent the afternoon cleaning Qavah's clothes' closet while Annelise took a nap. Qavah's closet is now ready for the upcoming Fall and Winter months, while Annelise gained a laundry basket full of clothes and shoes! It will be fun to see Annelise "model" the same outfits Qavah enjoyed wearing this year.

It was a quiet evening after a busy two days. I spent tonight finishing paperwork, doing laundry, cleaning my room, and playing my harp. I enjoyed the "dailiness" of tonight after this week's hectic work days. And now I'm turning my thoughts to Sunday with joyful anticipation. I have much to praise the Lord about, as well as many things to petition on behalf of others. May your Sabbath rejuvenate your soul and make you willing and ready to serve the Lord, in spirit and in truth, with your whole heart.