Monday, October 6, 2008

United States' Scrapbook

I've been collecting the United States' quarters for several years. Now that I have all but two states, I was trying to decide how to display the quarters. That's when I thought of the idea of making a scrapbook that teaches about each state. I can use double stick tape to mount the state quarters to the scrapbook paper.

In addition to the state quarters, I also plan to use postcards to "capture," or highlight, each state. I've already decorated Florida's page and I have enough postcards to complete several other state pages. However, I have many more postcards to get. I would really appreciate it if you helped me with this project. I might even include your name in the scrapbook (grin). My scrapbook paper is 12x12, so I can only fit two-to-four postcards per page. I'd be glad to reimburse you, too. I've included a list of "postcards needed for scrapbook" on the right side of my website. When I receive postcards I will delete that state name from my list. So, please let me know if you're going to send me postcards from your state by leaving a comment or emailing me. That way I won't get duplicates. Thank you!

So many times I hear people remark about how boring their social science or history classes were, but it doesn't have to be that way. Some of my grade school teachers (including Mom) actually made History memorable and fun; I want it to be that way for Qavah, too. In second grade, I read a story about "Flat Stanley" (a boy who was flat enough to fit inside an envelope). Then, I mailed my haphazardly colored paper Flat Stanley to an airline captain. He "flew" Flat Stanley on some adventures and then sent me a postcard explaining all of the different places Flat Stanley visited. I still have my Flat Stanley postcard. I smile every time I come across it. I think this scrapbook will be another fun, interactive Social Science adventure!