Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Best Guide

Today, I had an appointment with a mobility instructor from the Department for the Blind and Visually Impaired (DBVI), so that I could be "fitted" with an appropriate cane. I learned how to use a cane while attending the Virginia School for the Blind (VSDB) during middle school. However, when I returned home, I mostly used my family or friends as walking guides on sunny days.

Since beginning my job, though, I'm increasing my independence in this area. I sometimes visit consumers (clients) at their homes without the availability of family or friends that I came to rely on in the past. In some ways, I'm a bit nervous about using a cane and walking alone, however I know it's time for me to embark on this new step of independence (no pun intended).

The Lord is my Life guide in the same way that I depend on my cane to guide me when walking on unfamiliar territory. The Lord can alert me of impending dangers or obstacles. Then, it's my choice as to whether I will heed the "advice" of my Guide or continue walking forward on my own faulty wisdom. The fear I have of my walking-guide (cane) and life-guide (God) is a healthy one, because it keeps me humble enough to accept and use directions that are correct, but not of my own making.

"The fear of the LORD teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor." -Proverbs 15:33

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline." -Proverbs 1:7

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to Your word. I seek You with all my heart; do not let me stray from Your commands." -Psalm 119:9-10