Thursday, August 21, 2008

Wonderful Week

I'm done with the IV Rocephin treatments for what I hope will be quite awhile. I got the last infusion today. This is the first evening this week that I felt strengthened and "on the mend". Fortunately, I have a follow-up appointment with my hematologist next week, so he'll be able to determine at that if my health is on the right track. My arms are a bit sore tonight, though. The IV site I tried to save from yesterday's infusion didn't last, so I had to get re-stuck today. Then, halfway through the treatment, I woke up to wetness on my pant leg. The clamp at my IV site had somehow gotten loose and the Rocephin medicine was dripping out, down my arm, and onto my leg. I'm thankful the nurses were so attentive, because they resolved the problem right away. And so even though I didn't get to finish my nap, I did get the rest of my Rocephin treatment.

Despite the daily visits to the hospital for the infusions, Mom, Qavah, and I have had a lovely time with Sandy while her husband Jim has been working with Dad. Actually, you could say Sandy drove all the way here (from Oklahoma) to babysit and carpool! Mom and I were at the hospital Monday when Jim and Sandy arrived. Jim and Dad wanted to get right to work, so they left Sandy to babysit Qavah. Then yesterday, Mom had a dental appointment, so Sandy drove me to the hospital for the Rocephin treatment.

I've really appreciated Sandy's commitment to the Lord and warm personality. She has a flexible, go-with-the-flow attitude that is practical, yet joyful. There are some people that are so secure in the Lord that they're not encumbered or "weighed down" with the cares of this world. Sandy is such a person. I enjoy being around her and I've learned a lot from talking and observing her.

Mom and I have tried to plan some fun outings in the midst of our busy, medical-filled week. Monday night, we took Sandy to our new grocery store to do some "Krogering". Like I told Sandy on the way, "This Kroger is not just any supermarket. This Kroger in an event!" Mom and Sandy both laughed, but once Sandy saw the inside of the store, she agreed that our new Kroger is pretty special. Mom let Qavah "steer" the grocery cart by "driving" the red car attached to the cart. Qavah had so much fun! Even though the deli was closed for the evening, I got some pictures of the interesting edible arrangements. I thought they resembled art sculptures more than food platters. Below are a few pictures of our Kroger event: