Saturday, August 16, 2008

Medical Update: Progress

Thursday, I began the IV Rocephin treatments at my hematologist's office. Since I would need another treatment on Friday afternoon, the nurse left the IV site in my arm. That made for an interesting experience! Not only did I have the IV in the bend of my arm, but it was put in on the right side, so I had to use my left arm for tasks. Fortunately, Mom did help me get dressed on Friday. I ate cheerios for breakfast with the left hand, though. And I only checked my computer once for about ten minutes. I got too frustrated using the mouse with my left hand and the hunt-and-peck method for typing.

Despite the inconvenience, I'm very thankful the Rocephin treatments were started. By Friday, the signs of infection were visibly present. At Thursday's appointment, my hematologist asked me if I wanted to wait to begin the IV treatments. While I was not thrilled with having to begin antibiotics again, I didn't think it wise to delay treatment. I had been feeling strange all week, so I suspected an infection was beginning even before I noticed my Hickman scar on Wednesday night. Looking back, I can now see how God gave me the wisdom to take action and a doctor who was willing to start treatment immediately.

Because of the weekend, my hematologist decided to try something new. Instead of writing the orders for home health care, my doctor stopped the IV Rocephin treatments for the weekend. I'll resume the treatments on Monday. I know God works all things together for my good. Thus, I'm choosing to believe that delaying the medicine for two days will benefit my health in the end. My only thought is that perhaps taking the IV Rocephin for two days, stopping for two days, and then resuming will give my body a chance to completely absorb the dosages I received on Thursday and Friday.