Monday, July 28, 2008

Monday's Medical Musing

My lower back started hurting on Saturday, which is a sign that the pancreas is irritated and inflamed. Increasing the steroid dose further taxes the pancreas. The Crohn's symptoms also started to occur on Sunday afternoon. By the time I went to bed last night, I had a lot of abdominal pain; I thought I had a long week ahead. What I forgot last night was how wonderfully and powerfully our Lord works.

I'm tired right now, but it's been a relatively good day considering I need a Remicade treatment. I was able to get out of bed, attend an appointment, and go out tonight. I also thought I would have to stop eating altogether until Thursday, but I was able to have some baby food today with minimal discomfort. I can only have a few tablespoons at a time and I have to eat it throughout the day, instead of all at one meal. I've actually tried to stay away from the kitchen, so I'm not tempted to snack. It's difficult to be so disciplined and intentional, but as with most things in life, the benefits outweigh the temporary cost. My abdominal and back pain are less tonight than yesterday.

There is a new Kroger supermarket right near our home that just opened last week. It is a clean, inviting store with three isles devoted to natural foods. Tonight, I went there to shop with Dad and Qavah. I only bought "necessities" like baby food, allergy medicine, and shaving cream. However, I came home very grateful. The days of being on TPN are still fresh in my mind, thus I'm just happy that I could still eat something nutritious and delicious today. That in of itself is an answer to prayer. And I can now recommend the stage three chicken, vegetable baby food meal. Tomorrow, I'll try the stage three chicken noodle dinner.

My new harp wrench arrived in the mail this afternoon, but I've been too busy all day to try it out. So, I'm going to go play some music now. Tomorrow, I'm hoping to stamp a few cards. I bought a new stamp set that I'm wanting to try. I would also like to start the scrapbook of my Arizona trip. I guess I'm just in a creative mood and keeping busy helps pass the time until Remicade Day.