Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Medicine Tray

First, a quick health update. Considering it's the week before Remicade, I'm doing very well. I've had energy, my ears don't hurt, and I've been able to get a few projects completed. However, I am still battling GI issues. I've had another bout of bacteria overgrowth and general Crohn's flare up. I took some Milk of Magnesia yesterday; that stuff is nasty tasting, but it's worth the taste if it works. I used to say the same thing about Prednisone and potassium, but now I'm used to the flavor. I did call my GI doctor yesterday, but he's on vacation until August fifth.

I have thirteen medicines in the morning, two mid-day, and five in the evening (counting vitamins) that I take daily. And on Tuesday and Wednesday, I have the additional Methotrexate dosage. That's a lot of medicines to keep track of and remember everyday. Then, there's the inevitable problem of dropping pills onto the floor by mistake. It was a real problem and source of frustration until about a month ago when Mom came to the rescue with a grea idea.

We bought a plastic lunch tray from the dollar store. I was sure to pick a solid color that didn't match any of the medicine pills. Then, I typed and printed the names of each medicine onto individual mailing labels. After sticking the labels to the lunch tray, clear tape was added to protect them from water and dirt. Voila! I now have my own, organized medicine tray. I highly recommend making and using a medicine tray like mine. I prefer mine to those plastic, square medicine compartments that's divided by the week. I can see the medicines on the tray better and it's easier to reach the pills than those tiny compartments. The right side of the tray is for morning medicines. Then, there's a section for mid-day pills and another one for nighttime medications. The final section is for the Methotrexate. This medicine tray is a great tool... thanks, Mom!