Monday, July 21, 2008

The Dog Days of Summer


A few days ago, Mom mentioned to me the phrase "The dogs days of summer," referring to the weather outside. Today was definitely one of those days! It was a hot, ninety-six degrees this afternoon with full sun and humidity. I still would prefer the heat to winter time cold, though. It just meant a slow start to the day and combining errands. While we were out, we had a late lunch, early dinner (depending on how you look at it) at the local Mexican restaurant. I was really in the mood for a taco and, thankfully for my Prednisone mind, I was well enough to enjoy one. We shared a meal and dessert, so the portion sizes were smaller; I'm trying not to work my pancreas too hard. Sometimes after a meal, Qavah and I will say to each other for pure fun, "Yummy Tummy" or "Happy Belly". That is how I left the restaurant today!

Well, speaking of the "Dog days of summer," here are a few random pictures of Ellie. It's hard to believe we've had her eleven years! We took her to the groomer last week and the woman pointed to the dog she was working on, saying "He is fourteen years old, but the poor dog has arthritis and isn't in the best of health". Mom then told her that Ellie was the same age as the that dog. The groomer was very surprised.

The other day, I observed Qavah and Ellie playing together. Ellie had a "sweater" (blanket) on her back and she was being led into the pop-up school bus, all the while wagging her tail. I smiled and said to myself "That is one patient dog!" Of course, Ellie is not always that good when she's hungry (who is??) but she does very well with children and she's still calmer than most large dogs I've seen. I don't know how much longer she'll live, but over the eleven years we've had her, I've come to realize why they say dogs are "Man's best friend". Right now, our family is able to enjoy the "dog days of summer" with a new perspective and appreciation, thanks to Ellie.