Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Endocrinology Appointment

I'm just now settling in after a busy day. I had my endocrinology appointment this afternoon. The doctor listened well and even wanted to read the research papers my parents and I had printed regarding adrenal insufficiency. This doctor also requested that he receive frequent reports from my "medical team," so he can better monitor my progress and flare ups.

My adrenal system is permanently damaged, even more than the last time the endocrinologist saw me five months ago. Currently, there is not another drug I can take on a daily basis to compensate for my poorly functioning adrenal system other than Prednisone. He said the maintenance dose of Prednisone should be 5-10mg daily. However, when I have a "major stressful" event, my adrenal system will need additional help. He said "stressful events" include flare ups that last longer than a couple of days, any bone fractures, flying on an airplane (which he advised I do not try if at all possible), etc. During one of these stressful events, I will have no choice but to visit his office or the hospital for a blast of cortisone. The endocrinologist explained that for a healthy person my age, the adrenal system should be producing adrenaline (and other hormones) that equal taking 10-50mg of Prednisone a day". However, my adrenal system barely functions, so I should view Prednisone as a drug that will keep my body going, because I can no longer depend on my own adrenal system.

Stressful events make the adrenal system work harder and therefore additional "adrenaline" in the form of steroids like Prednisone and cortizone shots are necessary. My endocrinologist said that, had he known about the rib fracture, he would have ordered a cortisone blast right away. He told me that my body did not have enough adrenaline to heal from the rib fracture, keep inflammation minimal, go on a major trip where I flew, maintain other organ functions, and stay healthy. The rib fracture triggered a downward spiral. I've now switched to a liquid form of Prednisone in hopes that my body will absorb the medicine more effectively. I'm supposed to increase the Prednisone to 20mg (ml) for the rest of this week and then slowly taper back down to 5mg over the next two weeks. The endocrinologist also advised me to "break up" the Prednisone dosage, taking some in the morning and then later in the evening rather than taking the full dose at one time.

Thank you for the prayers regarding this appointment. It is disappointing to hear that my adrenal system is failing and the only answer for help- this side of Heaven- is Prednisone. I trust my endocrinologist; he's an older doctor with lots of experience, a quiet personality, and interested in me personally. I know he wants me to have a better life. He remembered that I was trying to finish college and asked me about it. I was amazed he remembered the details of my life when he has so many patients!

For two years, the Christians observing my journey have fervently prayed for better doctors who are humble, seek wisdom from the Lord, and want my life to be as positive as possible. Today's appointment was an answer to prayer. And I want to thank Martha R. for leaving a comment on the websites this morning. Our family needed the encouragement, especially the verses that she shared and prayed on our behalf. Sometimes I feel so alone in this battle but Martha's comments reminded me that there are readers out there who pray for my family that I don't even know. The road is long and difficult for me and I do need your prayers and love. However, I know we each have our pilgrimage with heartaches that beckon us to our Father's throne room. I leave you with a quote I saw at the doctor's office today, "Your journey might be difficult. But be kind and gentle to everyone you meet, because each person is fighting their own inner battle". May the Lord gives us all strength and resolve to keep fighting like Daniel, David, and Deborah as we go from "strength to strength".