Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Tuesday's Tracks

I was going to write Monday's Musings for the title and then I realized it wasn't Monday anymore! The days of this week are blurring by as I have spent most of my waking hours doing school-related work. Fortunately, the Lord is giving me incredible strength. Thus, I want to complete as many college assignments as possible on the days I feel "well," so I can rest later if my body demands it.

Tonight, I changed a few of the colors on my site in hopes that the website is easier to read. But, I have a question for my visually-impaired friends (or anyone for that matter): What blogging font do you prefer? The choices are Arial, Georgia, Trebuchet, Courier, Times, and Verdana.

A friend of mine gave me a devotional by Oswald Chambers for Christmas. I was very thankful to receive this devotional, as I had finished Spurgeon's Morning and Evening and I was looking for something else to read. This devotional has been inspiring! For example, on January sixth, the morning devotion was titled "Worship". Chambers discussed how often we view our spiritual walk with the Lord in terms of three stages: worshiping, waiting, or working. We view these three "w"s as separate and unrelated.. Chambers, however, argues that we should be doing all three everyday. In addition, Oswald Chambers defines worship as, "Giving God the best of what He has given you". Therefore, if God has given us a "waiting" period in one area of life, we can worship Him by thanking Him for the respite. Likewise, if God gives us work to do in another area of our lives, we can do the work "as unto Him" and still praise Him for the work we are able to do in His strength.

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might" -Deuteronomy 6:5-7 (ESV).

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kathryn!
    I have done some Section 508 testing and some web design. Here is a link that is useful in making sites 'accessible'. http://www.usability.gov/pdfs/chapter11.pdf

    It says that a familiar font (times new roman, ariel ect..) that are at least 12pt are easier to read. The website above also gives some tips on colors, layout schemes! Hope it helps! I think you are doing a great job!

    I'm glad you are feeling better and I'm so impressed by your work ethic! I know my temptation would be to 'sit outside and just enjoy the good days'...which is definitly not as responsible!!! :)

    I would love to take you to the Tea Tavern if you are feeling up to it next week...Thursday or Friday are open! :)

    Love ya!
    Jes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathryn,

    Me, personally, I would have problems reading on a white background. It hurts my eyes. The font I use is Verdana, because I think it is the one that stands out the most without having to necessarily raise the number of points. However, I use Internet Explorer, which allows me to change the fonts and colors to my liking, therefore overriding the colors and size font of the web. When I looked at your page with my settings on, there was a blue background with white fonts that were easy and clear to read...so not to worry. When I took off my settings, there is a white background with black letters.

    I do want to say how happy I am to see you able to do things you enjoy again. Your blog is looking very, very nice.

    Many blessings to you and your family in the new year.

    Hugs,
    >Ana<

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kathryn!

    The font you were using (Georgia, wasn't it?) would be my preference for readability on a dark background. But I'll read anything as long as it isn't Sanskrit or Wingdings, and I'll try really hard if it's Klingon...

    Glad you're feeling better, hon!

    Love,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Trebucket, but what you're using is okay too. The orange is a little harder for me to read than what was there before - it was something brighter. But that's just me. Grin!

    ReplyDelete