Monday, January 21, 2008

Senior Thesis

Today, was a productive Monday, although it got off to a rough start. I woke up this morning with muscle tetany and back pain. I've learned that extreme pain which can occur during the "normal" digestive process makes my electrolytes off balance, sending me into tetany. It's just a surprise to wake up from an uneventful night to those sensations! Fortunately, because of your prayers, Mom knows just what to do. After the appropriate doses of electrolytes and a microwaved heating pad on my back, I was enough better within the hour to get up.

I was able to get a good way's on my Bibliography research, although I didn't actually read any articles today. I had a lot of preliminary work to do. I also spent a few hours emailing and phone calling to various libraries and organizations. I even spoke with the the professor overseeing my Senior Thesis and I tentatively scheduled a visit at her office in Staunton in the beginning of February. While I realize I need to be flexible, all of this planning and researching is very exciting!

Several of you have asked about the specifics of my senior thesis. It is a 30-50 page research paper with the first draft due March 21. The final draft is due a month later. I'm actually the only political science student graduating from Mary Baldwin College this semester. The research question (and thus the senior "topic") is, "How did Megan's Law reach Virginia's policy agenda?"

In a nutshell, policy agenda is a political science term, meaning how problems or issues are expressed in the world of politics and what consequences these issues have for governmental action and/or policy-setting. Agenda setting involves all the groups and solutions related to the event, topic or problem at hand.

Megan's Law is:
"An informal name for laws in the United States requiring law enforcement authorities to make information available to the public regarding registered sex offenders. Individual states decide what information will be made available and how it be disseminated." (Wikipedia Online)
I decided to do my senior thesis on Virginia's "Megan's Law," because of my interest in child advocacy and possible job in the social services' field.

2 comments:

  1. Kathryn, my dear, I've been wanting to tell you how I admire your incredible resolve and determination to keep yourselves dedicated to your studies and get that paper done and get that degree! Most would have given up long ago. It certainly is a measure of your strong character, and of your faith and trust in the Lord. I hope more people will start "tuning in" to your "Keepsakes" and writing to you. This morning at the breakfast table a little chorus was in my mind and I told Uncle Tony that I thought I should write it to you...

    "In His time, in His time, He makes ALL THINGS BEAUTIFUL, in HIS time. Lord, my life to you I bring, may each song that I can sing be to You a lovely thing, in Your Time."

    Let us praise Him for the beautiful things He is planning for you, as you work and often wobble through bad hump days!

    I am memorizing in Revelation now: "To the one who overcomes, I will a white stone, with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it." Wonder what out new names will be?

    Love, Aunt Lil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, corrections! It should be "yourself" in line 4, and in Revelation, I seem to have left out the word give "I will give him (her) a white stone..."

    Tony said that in Sardis the white stones were used to show that a person belonged to a certain trade union. For us, it will mean we belong to the Lamb! Hallelujah! Aunt Lil

    ReplyDelete