Thursday, September 6, 2007

Delights of a Sister

I’m trying to update more often on my site, since I told Mom yesterday that I wanted the Medical Update’s section to stick to mostly medical-related updates and issues, rather than “Qavah” stories. It has been one full week and the week is not over yet! I am finding that I’m wanting or needing to be with Qavah so much that my schoolwork is a bit neglected. When we are babysitting Annelise, it takes both Mom and me to watch the girls. Fortunately, I was able to get some paperwork accomplished last night and this morning on the way to my doctor’s appointment. I’m also going to do some tonight, now that Qavah is sleeping.

We’ve had several doctor appointments this week and that always throws off the routine. I expect I’ll get into the “groove” eventually and everything will even out in the end. I’m thankful I’m only taking six credits this semester and that I’m almost done. I praise the Lord I did not have these HPS flare ups and issues when I was just beginning college.

The failed Prednisone taper was a source of frustration this week. I feel the adverse side affects of that drug everyday. All of my doctors tell me I need to be off of it. And yet, my body seems to crave it like candy. My primary care physician, (PCP), whom I visited today, agrees that we may need to increase the Imuran dosage while I’m trying to taper the Prednisone. Fortunately, the PCP offered to talk with my endocrinologist and gastroenterologist himself to figure out another plan of action. I’m so grateful, because sometimes I get very weary trying to manage my own care with the medical community.

The PCP also took extra blood work today, so he can begin observing vitamin levels with my malobsorption issues. Qavah watched me get “stuck” today and I think it helped her emotionally. At least, when my doctor’s appointment was finished, Qavah was extra joyful…I think she was just thankful she wasn’t the one being poked and prodded today!

It has been delightful to watch and play with Qavah. I’m learning patience and how to be silly, all at the same time. Qavah is always interested in helping me around the house. So, I am teaching her how to unload the silverware tray from the dishwasher. She doesn’t exactly get the hang of “big” and “small” spoons, but she actually does quite well with the sorting.

I’ve been trying to do about an hour of school with Qavah a day. This week, we are working on the letter “A” and color “red”. I’m constantly amazed at Qavah’s thinking patterns, interests, and requests. She just mesmerizes me!

I’m also getting a new realization of how much the Heavenly Father must enjoy watching us as I observe my little sister. Earlier this week, we were playing “house” together. Qavah was holding her baby doll and, all of the sudden, she started leaving her bedroom, so I asked her where she was going. Qavah didn’t answer, so I followed her to the bathroom. She had undressed her doll and gotten a wet washcloth from the shower to clean her “baby”. Qavah was very gentle and thorough. I didn’t tell her to clean her baby, but at four years old, she was already displaying love and careful attention to detail.

Comments:
  1. Aunt Lil Says:

    Katy, I believe Jesus will need to give you some miracle help to get your adrenals back, and that’s been my prayer for some time. But you need to try all the medical avenues, and I hope this team really gets to work on planning your program so you don’t have that undue burden.

    This is a sweetheart of a letter as you give us a look at your interaction with your little sister. May the blessings of joy continue! Love, Aunt Lil

  2. Trisha Ferris Says:

    Qavah is very blessed to have you, Katy, a sister who notices even the little positives in her behavior. She will grow up knowing she has value & being able to appreciate even the smallest gift from God. This is part of what God meant when He told you He had work for you yet to do.
    Trisha

  3. Heather Kirkwood Says:

    Hey Katy,
    I’m so sorry to hear about the steroid issue - I know how frustrating that can be! I’ve had a tough week so I haven’t been able to check in as much as usual, but reading about you and Quavah puts a smile on my face!