Sunday, December 12, 2010

Welcome!

I decided to participate in my friend Kristin's, Holly Jolly Blog Hop which is basically a virtual open house, showcasing Christmas decorations and traditions.  This is Part one of the home tour. 

When decorating, we try to keep in mind that our home is a replica of a Victorian farmhouse.  For the past few years, we have only displayed our most favorite Christmas decorations. By doing so, our home is less cluttered and we're better able to focus on the real meaning of Christmas, the birth of Christ. 

These Victorian ladies and a Christmas wreath sit atop a hutch in our Eating Area:



The Jesse Tree and lyrics to "He Made A Way In the Manger," reminds us of how Christ fulfills humanity's need for a Savior:


This year, we decided to put our Nativity set in the Music Room:


  
This little tree is placed in the Music Room, too.  I like the miniature gold balls:


Our Library is also the grandchildren's playroom.  So, in addition to displaying Christmas-themed books, we added a bit of whimsy:


Several years ago, my family created a very unique gingerbread house and I have many happy memories of that time we spent together.  Since the house is non-edible, we're able to display it every year:





Our fireplace is located in the Dining Room and is home to these two trees.  At Christmas, we decorate the trees with large, Victorian balls and white lights.  (The painting is of my mother as a little girl):


Finally, here is a picture of the Christmas tree, which is located in the front hallway.  For the past two years, we've decorated the tree with only gold ornaments:



Thank you for stopping by!  I'll post part two in a few days.

Windy Poplars

1 comment:

  1. I just love your family's home Kathryn, and it's even more enchanting at Christmas! Your gingerbread house is truly a work of art-simply amazing! Thanks for joining the blog hop, I hope you had fun "visiting" the other houses! I need to send you an e-mail...I'll go get right to that :-) Hope your week is off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete