Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Praying Like A Child

The last two evenings, I've babysat Qavah for a short time while Mom and Dad attended small group and Bible study. The days have been busy, so Qavah has been ready for sleep at an earlier hour. I've enjoyed the bedtime "routine," especially the part here we recount her day and pray together. If Qavah has any sense of doubt or worry about God (which I don't think does exist), I have not detected it when she prays. Qavah speaks to the Lord with such sincerity and trust that I end up leaving her room with a quieted, yet joyful spirit. Qavah may only be six years old, but she is teaching me about the Lord through her childlike faith.

"At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea." (Matt. 18:1-6)