Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"Wednesday's Wisdom"

I've gotten a lot accomplished on this wet and cold February evening. Today was payday, so there was banking and bill paying to do after work. As I balanced my checkbook, I praised the Lord not only for the ability to "pay down" my school debt, but also for the chance to use what I learned in college.

From the first time I began exploring my college options, choosing a degree that I'd actually use in "everyday life" was very important to me. I didn't want to attend college simply because it was the path that every teenager was expected to walk. Instead, the Lord guided my steps by providing me with family and "seasoned" friends that gave me wise advice. The advice was the best and most productive kind of counsel, because it was what I needed to know, not necessarily what I wanted to hear. Heeding such advice- especially when it's as practical as which degree to choose like in my circumstance- is what I consider "wise listening."

Thankfully, ten years later, I have two degrees that I continue to utilize on a daily basis. The Lord does not waste any education or life experience. Sometimes His teaching is through direct and personal events, while other times it is through observing or listening to the advice of those who have gone before us. "Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails," Proverbs 19:20-21.