Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tuesday's Thoughts

Happy Three Kings Day to you! I never knew about the holiday until a decade ago when our foreign exchange student (also known as my "Spanish Brother"), Fernando, visited our home for the first time.

"[Three Kings Day] is a Christian holiday that celebrates the Biblical story of the three kings who followed a bright star of Bethlehem to bring gifts to the Christ child. In the story of the Bible the three kings, named Melchior, Caspar and Balthazar, brought gifts to the new baby. They brought gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. Three Kings Day is also known as The Epiphany. In Spanish and in South America it is referred to as- El Día de los Reyes.

Three Kings Day is celebrated on January sixth. This is twelve days after Christmas, which represents the twelve days of Christmas. The Western Christian Church adopted December twenty-fifth as the day of the Feast of Christ’s birth. This change was how the twelve days of Christmas arose. The Eastern Christian Church recognizes January sixth as the celebration of the nativity. The physical birth of Jesus was kept on January sixth in Bethlehem."

I think it's ironic that my family decided to use our evening together to take down the Christmas decorations. Today of all days! *grin* I worked, went to a doctor's appointment, and then came home. I've been cleaning ever since dinnertime. The oral surgeon today said that my mouth is healing very nicely, albeit slowly. I have another check up in a month.