Monday, January 12, 2009

Monday's "Munchy" Musings

Do not read this post if you are hungry...

When Mom picked me up from work this afternoon, she had groceries in the van. We had a delicious dinner of chicken, green beans, and potatoes. Then, she made chicken soup for other nights this week. By Friday, the temperatures here are supposed to drop down to twenty-five degrees for the highs! There is just something absolutely comforting and beautiful about homemade chicken soup. And I just finished one pancake that she made for a bedtime snack.

One of the snacks Mom bought today was a canister of single-serve prunes. Yes, each miniature bag has one prune in it. Mom thought I could take them to work and she's "totally right" (as Qavah has been saying recently). If I was near the kitchen, I would take a picture of the canister, because it's just so fun and delicious!

The other thing Mom made tonight was cinnamon and brown sugar applesauce. Dad bought some applesauce that was just water and boiled down apples, which meant there was very little sugar or preservatives. Mom adds just enough cinnamon and brown sugar to make the applesauce flavorable but still healthy.

When I go to an event, I have learned to not let food become the main focus. That way I'm not disappointed if I can't eat the meal or snack. However, since I have to constantly watch what I eat, it's always thrilling to find food that's both delicious and safe to gobble down. Thus, I really look forward to lunchtime at work and now you can understand why. After a hectic morning, I feel blessed to open up my lunch bag and see it filled with goodies that are healthy and enjoyable to eat. I always want to shout, "Eureka!" as if I have discovered some important treasure.

I am looking forward to Heaven where eating does not become the focus, but just another recognized blessing from the Giver of all good gifts.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." -James 1:17

"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" -Matthew 7:11