Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tuesday's Thankful Thoughts

I am feeling grateful tonight, because I finished the six-day Rocephin treatment this afternoon. I was able to use yesterday's i.v. site, so I did not have to be stuck again today. That was a blessing!

In a way, I'm going to miss visiting Lewis-Gale's hematology/oncology infusion center. The nurses are so professional and real cheerleaders for the patients. Even the front receptionist, who has only been there a month, greeted the patients by name today. In a world of such sorrow and evil, I'm thankful whenever I can meet the Lord's servants, especially when they are busy doing "His work."

Below is Psalm 131. It is a Psalm of Ascents and one I intensely studied a few months ago. I am blessed to read it again, especially in light of recent personal, family, and world issues that demand wisdom and knowledge from the Lord. Tonight, my soul feels "quiet before the Lord," just like David wrote about in this Psalm. God can be our sure foundation, peace, and refuge.

Psalm 131 (ESV)

O LORD, my heart is not lifted up;
my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
too great and too marvelous for me.

But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a weaned child with its mother;
like a weaned child is my soul within me.

O Israel, hope in the LORD
from this time forth and forevermore.