Tuesday, September 16, 2008

"The Lord has done this, and it's marvelous in our eyes". -Psalm 118:23

I just read Mom's post from a year ago. I was in bed, because it was the week before Remicade and I was in miserable pain. I had called the doctor to beg for an earlier infusion day, but he declined my request. A year later, as I reflect on today, I am in awe of what the Lord has done. Today, I began my job at the Blue Ridge Independent Living Center (BRILC). It appears that I'm going to utilize so many of my life experiences God has given me with my position as Independent Living Coordinator.

It was the typical first day with many introductions, general meetings with the direct supervisor and the executive director, and setting up my cubicle. I need to decorate my office before posting a picture, but it's a bigger cubicle than I ever expected having, so that's an added bonus. My cubicle is in the back of the building where it's less hectic and more peaceful.


I also read the employee handbook, which was forty pages long. That took awhile to muddle through! The staff was polite and made it a point to introduce themselves. While I was getting my things together to leave, one employee came up to me and said, "I've been meaning to visit you all day!" Then, she proceeded to ask me where I lived and if I needed anything.

I now see how wondefully God worked out the details that I "worried" about beforehand. My supervisor is very accomodating and stated she'll work with my doctor appointments and family schedules (within reason). In fact, I changed my schedule so Paul Burton can drop me off at BRILC on his way to work. I will now be working Monday-Thursday from 10:00 to 4:30pm. Tomorrow, I have additional orientation, a bunch of paperwork to complete with the administrative assistant, and some client sessions to observe.

From what I saw, there appears to be a few co-workers who are Christian or at least "religious". BRILC has about thirty employees, with about twenty working at the Roanoke office. Because of the nature of the job, I will also have on-going contact with the Roanoke Valley community. So there will be ample opportunity for me to witness the Christian life with others. I received a "new job" card in the mail today from Uncle Dan, Aunt Julie, and Danae. I thought the prayer they wrote to me was very applicable, "We are praying that you will reflect Jesus to them [co-workers, clients, etc]". Amen!