Thursday, September 18, 2008

Work Week Wrap-Up

Tomorrow is Friday and that means I don't go to work. With the Lord's strength, I have survived my first week at the Blue Ridge Independent Center. This was the first day I felt acclimated and settled with the work routine. That's partly because the IT guy visited my cubicle this morning to set up my work email, network settings, and phone system.

Someone asked me this week, "So what exactly is the BRILC?" Good question! The BRILC assists people in becoming more self reliant, as well as advocating and assisting the community at large in being handicap accessible. And it's much more complicated than just checking to see if a restaurant has a ramp for individuals in a wheelchair. We also provide referrals to other community agencies, both private and government run. I didn't realize it until now, but there are more than four hundred Centers for Independent Living (CILs) in the United States, so the Roanoke BRILC is part of state and national associations.

One reason why I like working at BRILC is that I'm assisting people in moving forward with their lives, using (what I believe) are their God-given abilities. I also help individuals assess their personal goals to see if they're realistically achievable. Interestingly, the executive director asked me today about Grand Rounds and my experiences with the local hospitals. She said there is a medical community committee that she might assign to me, if I so desire. All Independet Living Coordinators (my job title, basically a "case worker") have to serve on at least one community board or civic group.

My early childhood development and political science degrees are being put to good use! So are my life experiences at the Blue Ridge Women's Center, Blue Ridge Autism Center, Rescue Mission's Camp Jubliee, church committees, home-schooling, and Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind. Of course, I have no idea how long I'll be at the BRILC. For right now, though, I feel the Lord's pleasure in what I am doing. He has certainly prepared me for this job. Some of my greatest challenges in the past have now become my strengths at the BRILC. That is only possible through God's redemptive power.