Thursday, September 4, 2008

Birthday Surprises!

Since my family celebrated my Birthday on Tuesday night, today seemed like an ordinary day in many respects even though it "is" actually my birth date.  I spent the majority of the day doing laundry, straightening, and stripping the wallpaper border in Paul Burton's apartment.  Yes, I was up on a ladder with a bucket of water, trash can, and sponge.    Paul Burton played the movie Sense and Sensibility on his computer, so we listened to that while we worked.  I actually enjoyed the experience so much that I'm now looking forward to finishing the project with Mom this weekend, while Paul Burton is away.  He's in Washington, D.C. for a weekend vacation.  Meanwhile, Mom took Qavah to the hospital today for her monthly blood transfusion.  

A friend asked me tonight if I received any Birthday surprises today.  I did.  Two in fact.  One was at lunchtime when I got to talk on the phone to Cousin Mike (he comments a lot on our family websites). Even though we write to each other on instant messenger almost daily, we had never talked over the phone before. We share similar political views, so that dominated the majority of our conversation.  There was much to discuss after Sarah Palin's speech last night.  (*giggles*)  The second surprise was...

I have a job!  Remember that interview I had last week? Well, the executive director called today and asked, "How would you like to join the staff of the Blue Ridge Independent Living Center?"  I start on September 16 and my job title is Indpendent Living Coordinator.  For right now, I'll be working Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9:15am-4:30pm.  

Thank you to everyone who has prayed for me regarding a job.  I know there is much the Lord will teach me through this job.  I don't expect it to be easy all of the time.  However, I'm thankful for the opportunity to serve others, while using my God-given gifts and abilities. I am smiling right now thinking of how much fun the Lord had surprising me with the news of a new job on my Birthday.  God could have chosen any day this week for the executive director to call, but He used today to bless me in a very big way.  Praise to the Lord Almighty!