Friday, August 8, 2008

Like Mother, Like Daughter

It's been a fun day. Mom, Qavah, and I spent the afternoon with Paul Burton since he didn't have to work. That was quite a treat as we don't get to see him that often. Among other places, we shopped at Big Lots. A funny story from our shopping trip to that particular store:

I had found my way to the snack isle (that always happens) and had chosen two packages of fruit-filled cookies. Apricot and boysenberry to be exact. Mom, Qavah and Paul Burton were nearby in another food isle. I had the cookie packages in my hand when I heard Mom exclaim to me, "Kathryn, I found something for you. Come here." Since we had been shopping separately for awhile, I thought that perhaps Mom had found some clothes or decorations before walking to the food isles. So, I go over to where Mom was standing and in her hands were the same packages of fruit cookies I was holding! She looked down to see why I appeared surprised and amused. Then, we both started laughing. Paul Burton and Qavah started laughing once they saw the identical cookie packages. Mom said to Paul Burton, "This happens more often than you might think".

When I was at the School for the Blind during ninth and tenth grade, Mom and I would sometimes try to call each other at the same time. Both of us would get fast, busy signals on the telephone. It wasn't until a future conversation when one of us called back that we would realize what had happened. Likewise, I frequently have strangers exclaim to me, "Oh you look just like your mother!" Mom and I then smile and I usually say, "Well actually... I'm adopted". Sometimes, I'm then able to share my testimony of how the Lord redeemed my life through adoption.

I'm constantly amazed when I observe families how the Lord hand picks each person's family. Sometimes our family members are given through birth. Other times it's through adoption or marriage. However the method, the Lord puts families together with the utmost care and attention to detail. Our family members, whether they are good or evil, teach us about the Heavenly Father and His son, Jesus Christ. So, even though Qavah does not physically resemble Mom like I do, her adoption into our family was intentionally orchestrated by the Lord for her greatest good as well as ours.