Thursday, June 5, 2008

Praise the Lord!

Mom and I have been working on our Bible study in the Psalms of Ascent. We are on the last week of homework, which is hard to believe. I always begin a new Bible study with joyful anticipation and end with a bittersweet awe of everything the Lord has taught me. This six week study, covering Psalms 120 to 134, was no exception.

Yesterday's homework was about praising the Lord. There were several meaningful lessons within that one day of homework that I will share in a future post. However, the one point of application I want to now state is this: we often forget to give praise and thanks to the Lord when He answers prayer. As humans who are in ever-need of the Lord's power, strength, and guidance, we are quick to move on to the next request without first praising the Lord for what He has done on our behalf.

I definitely felt convicted after completing yesterday's homework! One assignment Beth Moore had us do was to write down ways the Lord had answered our prayers, but we failed to praise Him for doing so. Several things came to mind that I had "forgotten" to share with my faithful prayer partners:

1. Healing of Hickman scar site. This is something I asked for prayer about several times. It was a real source of pain, irritation, and sleepless nights. One day last week, I noticed that the scar didn't bleed after a shower. From that time on, the site has continued to heal. I'm now able to wear clothes without using gauze or feeling pain. Praise the Lord!

2. Completion of my MBC degree. While I have documented the step-by-step process of writing my senior thesis, I'm not sure I completing rejoiced to the Lord for His strength and help. Looking at my diploma or just even thinking about being finished, is enough to take my breath away! And now when I look back on it, I don't even remember the little, everyday struggles of college-life. I just remember what I've learned and the skills I've gained. Likewise, I'm amazed I did so much mental thinking while having so many HPS flare-ups and taking medication, including pain medication. In my heart, I have a deep sense of gratitude to the Lord. To me, my diploma is not so much a piece of paper stating my degree as it is a document displaying the magnificent power and sovereignty of the Lord. Praise the Lord!

3. Mom's dental surgery. While Mom is not completely finished with the dental surgeries she has to go through, I'm thankful she lived through the previous surgies. They were filled with many complications, wakeful nights, and unbearable pain. I'm thankful the Lord gave everyone else in our family strength to "carry on" on the days Mom was recovering. There were times that the Lord gave me a reprieve from my HPS symtpoms, so I could comfort my mother instead. Praise the Lord!

4. Qavah's adoption: Qavah has been in our home for nine months now. Yes, it has taken some adjustment for everyone. The Lord has used Qavah to humble me; He continues to use her presence to make me (hopefully) less selfish and more patient. In addition, Qavah's joyful, but serene personality is teaching me so much about my perspective of life's circumstances. I was telling a friend the other day that what I've always heard my parents state about my adoption I can now say about Qavah: I can't imagine our lives without her and I'm quickly forgetting what life was like before she arrived. Qavah blesses our lives daily. Praise the Lord!

5. Heather's wedding: This past weekend in Charlottesville were many dreams come true. I looked forward to the weekend away and the wedding ceremony literally for months. I was looking at some additonal pictures today and I just kept smiling from ear to ear! The ceremony was filled with truth about the Lord. I got to visit with family - immediate and extended - and make new friendshhips. The worship service we had at my grandparents' home on Sunday was very special, too. Praise the Lord!

As Mom and I prepare for Arizona, I'm looking forward to sharing in future posts more ways the Lord answered prayers. As prayers come true, may Psalm 134 be our reply:

"Praise the LORD, all you servants of the LORD who minister by night in the house of the LORD. Lift up your hands in the sanctuary and praise the LORD. May the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth, bless you from Zion." -Psalm 134:1-3

Lord, I praise You for the many answers to prayers in the past six weeks. You have done exceedingly beyond what I could ask our think. You have left me speechless as You displayed Your mighty hand. As others observe the answers to prayers in my life, may it stir their hearts to look for the ways You have answered their prayers, big and small. I now rejoice with my sisters and brothers in Christ. How awesome are Your deeds, Lord; our cups runneth over. Let all the people praise the Lord. Praise the Lord! His love endures forever. Amen.