Sunday, April 27, 2008

Graduation Plans

As Mom stated on the Campbell Family Journal website, I have decided not to attend this year's commencement ceremony at Mary Baldwin College (even though I am finally receiving my Bachelor's degree). The keynote speaker was chosen by MBC's President Fox and will be Musimbi Kanyoro. After reading about Kanyoro on Wikipedia and in academic journals, I do not want to attend - or have my family attend - a speech given by this woman. On Wikipedia, it lists Kanyoro's profession as "activist". She currently is the Director of Population Program at the Packard Foundation.

Wikipedia further states in the third paragraph of their biography on Musimbi Kanyoro, "Dr. Kanyoro is passionate about empowering young women and her portfolio as director of the Population Program will keep her engaged in this arena. A majority of women who need family planning services or access to safe and legal abortion are within their childbearing years, meaning many of them are young. Dr. Kanyoro and the Population Program she oversees understand that to create a systemic change, civil society must foster women leaders and provide for them to keep reproductive health on the development agenda."

I once read in a Bible study, "Life is like bungee jumping. We fall down. We get up. The critical detail is: Where is the rope tied?" My rope is tied to the Lord Jesus Christ and His laws, as written in the Holy Bible. I know the Lord considers all life - including preborn women - sacred.

Once I discovered who would be MBC's commencement speaker, I wrote a letter to President Fox. In the letter, I shared my views and told President Fox I would not be attending if she continued to choose Musimbi Kanyoro. I would not subject my family to hearing Musimbi's personal views, which are ungodly and unmoral.
I am not afraid of public speaking, thus I offered to speak at MBC's graduation ceremony. President Fox was kind enough to write me back. However, it was clear from President Fox's response that her "rope" is tied to society's lies that it's justifiable to kill innocent life in the name of convenience and women's empowerment.

President Fox's choice for keynote speaker is disappointing for another reason: until this decision occurred, my educational experience at Mary Baldwin College was excellent. Mary Baldwin College worked with my health issues, so I wouldn't have to drop out. They held my "senior status" for two years until I was well enough to complete my degree. Several of my instructors were Christians, and those who did not share my beliefs were respectful. I was challenged academically; I learned important critical thinking and research skills. I still recommend Mary Baldwin College to prospective students. However, I am dismayed that I will not be attending the commencement ceremony of the academic institution that inspired me to persevere amidst adversity.