Monday, February 18, 2008

Health Update

I will hopefully update more later. However, I wanted to do a quick post, since I haven't written on here since last Thursday. The reason is because it was a difficult weekend health wise. Based on my symptoms, Mom and I suspect I have an over-growth of bacteria in my abdomen and pancreas. We went back in our minds and figured out that I stopped absorbing my medications around Wednesday of last week. That means the medicine I take to keep the ceroid and bacteria down in my gut was not working, hence the over-growth. I spent the majority of the weekend in bed. Thankfully, I started feeling better throughout the night. I'm a bit shaky this morning from not eating (my food kept coming back up due to the extreme acid reflux, so I'm not eating very much until everything settles down) but, otherwise, I do feel stronger than I have in awhile.

As with everything that appears negative at first, the Lord used this weekend's health issues for my benefit. Because I wasn't absorbing any medicines, my Ativan taper is essentially complete. It also means I can start tapering my Prednisone again. My goal is to get down to 5mg. At that dosage, my body won't suffer so much bone loss, but I'll be getting enough Prednisone to keep my adrenal system functioning.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Kathryn,
    Sorry to hear that things have been difficult. As always, you're fondly in my thoughts. I hope things improve.

    Love,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least you can see the silver lining! It amazes me how you and your mom can figure that stuff out... It's just so much nicer than trying to go the hospital like you used to have to do. I will be praying for you today -- I pray that God shows you His mercies!

    Love,
    Aleah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kathryn,
    Was reading your post, and thought of something I did not say to you on the list serv. I am not sure if it will help or not because I am not sure of how much you can eat. I try to eat a lot of yogurt when this bacteria overgrowth happens. I try to eat the Bryer's creamy, that doesn't have big chunks of fruit. Also (not sure of spelling) Asidophilus pills or milk can help with the overgrowth. Also being on Remicade makes one more susceptible to infections as do a lot of immunosuppressants. Anyway just an afterthought for what it may or may not be worth. Hope you feel better soon.
    Love and prayers,
    Karen Tillman

    ReplyDelete