Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Hope on the Horizon

I am feeling hopeful tonight. It has been a much better week than the previous one. I am feeling better mentally, which I credit as answered prayer. In addition, the two doctor visits have gone well. (I have one more tomorrow with the hematologist). After eight months, the doctors have finally agreed on a plan to get me off the steroids. I am praying (and cautiously hopeful) that the use of Remicade, instead of Prednisone, will be more successful than anyone could imagine.

After the gall bladder surgery, I had three pain-free days before the bone pain started again. After several days of intense agony, I was feeling pretty discouraged by Sunday. Yesterday, however, the Lord reminded me of the many new blessings I am able experience. Since the surgery, the pain on my right side is gone. The acid reflux problem has improved, so now I can actually enjoy what I’m eating! And even though the bone pain is a nuisance, I am hopeful that once we lower the Prednisone, that pain will lessen as well.

As Mom stated on the medical blog, she had the idea to do a makeover to my bedroom. It has been fun dreaming, planning, shopping, cleaning, and now decorating together. Today, Mom and I even went to Wal-Mart. While at the store, we ran into several “Bible study” friends. What a treat! Friends often state how happy they are to see me “out and about,” but I always feel uplifted after our five-minute visits, because their joy is contagious.

Comments:
  1. Ana Guzman Says:

    Hi Katy,
    I finally found this…I have accessibility settings on my browser and for some reason it blocks out the entire top section of your blog so that I could not see the “musings” section. I disabled it today and found your posts.

    I am so happy to see that you are feeling well enough to post once again. I pray for your continued recovery.

    I also wanted to say that my daughter and I were so looking forward to meeting you at the HPS conference. She even took her Samantha to meet you and spend some time with you in case you were not able to leave your room. Hopefully next time it will work out.

    Many Blessings to you and your family. Ana & Desiree

  2. Sandy Says:

    Katy — I was so glad to see this post! And it is great to feel hopeful. You continue to be in my prayers more than daily! Take good care, my friend.

  3. Karen Tillman Says:

    Actually Katy, It is the coming off of the steroids that usually induces the bone pain for me, and so we’ve learned to taper quite slowly, so the pain is not as intense. Once I get low enough though it eventually stops, and life is good once again. For awhile at least. I know this has been such a struggle for you, but God obviously has something special in mind as He has seen fit to bring you through.
    Distraction is definately a good thing though, as if you can keep the mind busy, you’re not constantly thinking of the pain. Once you get your room revamped with those curtains your mom is making, be sure to put a picture up so that we can see it. I am so glad that you are feeling up to writing and helping your mom, that is truly a good sign. and I’ll tell ya the big tub idea was brilliant!!! As much as I’ve dealt with this, I never thougth about doing that.
    Take care sweetie.
    Love Always
    Karen Tillman

  4. Doris Harriff Says:

    Katy, so glad you felt up to posting! You are continually in my prayers, and our entire church is praying for you.

    And I agree with Karen about the big tub - that was brilliant! Your Mom & Dad have such brilliant and innovative ideas.

    God bless!

    Aunt Doris

  5. Emily Williams Says:

    Hey Katy!

    Redoing your room sounds like so much fun! It will help take your mind off things. I am hoping to find time this summer to redo my room. (I have been saying that for the past two summers). ;)

    My computer has not been letting me leave you any comments. But today it is going to let me:)

    I have been praying for you. I am glad to hear that you are doing a little bit better.

    Blessings,
    ~~Emily~~