Monday, February 5, 2007

Sabbath Blessings

Even though I am not able to eat much, the Lord is quenching my hungry and thirsty soul…

Yesterday, I woke up not feeling well. I told Mom before she left for church, “I’m just so weary.” I wanted to attend church. I wanted to be with my brothers and sisters in Christ. Instead, I returned to bed and had my own quiet time with the Lord. Then, I fell into a deep sleep. I didn’t wake up again until around 12:30 when Mom and Dad returned to my room. Dad had his Bible and bulletin from church. Mom had the bread and grape juice. They prayed with me and then Dad served me Communion. Dad’s blessing over me was so tender and Mom shared with me the sermon.

I finally got up “for the day,” around 3:00pm although I still felt weak. We had small group here and that was another blessing. Paul Burton played his guitar, so we could sing. How I miss singing in church, so I was very thankful for the opportunity to sing a few hymns. Dad continued the series on Psalm 23, concentrating this week on the phrase, “He makes me to lie down in green pastures”. There are four things that inhibit sheep from lying down in complete rest: (1) Fear, (2) Friction, (3) Irritation (such as bugs, pet peeves, etc) and (4) Hunger. How similarly we are as human sheep and, like our animal counterparts, we must rely on the Good Shepherd to “provide release from these anxieties” (pg 35 Keller).

The rest of small group was spent praying and fellowshipping around soup and cobbler. Yummy! It was so good to see everyone who attended. Since I cannot attend the church service in the morning due to energy level and germs, I really look forward to the Sunday afternoon small group. As Mom told someone yesterday, small group has become my church for this season in my life. Last night, after everyone left, I watched a movie with my parents. We get the living room all fixed up. My space is near the television on the cot with the warm electric blanket. Can you picture it? I’m spoiled! Yesterday night was funny, though. We started watching one movie we rented from the library. It was supposed to be historic-romance, but reminded me of an old time Western movie instead. After about the fifth shooting scene, I told Mom and Dad I had enough. Fortunately, they agreed so we removed the DVD and popped in a different movie. The second movie, Benny and Joon, was much better! I really enjoyed the plot and acting.

I went to bed last night feeling very blessed. I had woken up weary and unable to face the day. I was like the sheep who couldn’t lie down because of the earthly anxieties. However, the Shepherd cleared away those fears and irritations and instead filled my soul and life with peace and joyous moments.

John 6:35-40 (NIV):

“Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.”

Comment:

Kendall Pelish Says:

Hey Katy, my quiet time during that week brought me through John 6. I was so enamored with that chapter that I read it again the next day. Then I read your mom’s version of that day. I don’t know God’s intention, but I can say that chapter on Jesus being the bread of life has been emphasized in my heart.