Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Upcoming Surgery

God worked in awesome ways today!  My surgery date is scheduled for Friday, May 4 at 1pm (I'll have transfusions and platelets on that day, as well). The original date was for May 23. My pre-op tests (that I'm told lasts about 3 hours) takes place on May 1.   When I first learned of the original surgery date, my mother looked stunned and I burst into tears.  I couldn't help it - I'm so weary and couldn't imagine myself trying to live another month this way.  In addition to the pain, the oral pain medication has activated my Crohn's symptoms, making it so that I can only eat little bits of food a few times a day.  I've already lost ten pounds in one week.  

While the scheduler stepped out of the room, Mom prayed and called my father to ask him to pray.  After quite awhile, we could hear the surgeon and nurses making calls to my hematologists' office and working with other staff to find another surgery date.  When May 4 was announced, I felt relief inside.  I know the Lord will sustain me until then.  

For those who've asked, the plan right now is to replace the femur ball and remove any other "dead bone".  However, the surgeon said he suspects pressure build- up and deterioration of the surrounding cartilage, which would account for the severe pain.  As far as my leg circulation is concerned, he believes that I'm experiencing nerve spasms, again due to the pain.  If too much deterioration has taken place, then the surgeon will go ahead with doing a full hip replacement.  He won't really know until he is able to look inside my leg, how much bone has to be removed or replaced.  Either way, I may have a lot of relief right away and definitely more as my hip area heals.  In the end, after many weeks of recovery, I should be able to walk again! 

I so appreciate the prayers, cards, messages, visits, and other acts of love and friendship.  In fact, I'm designing a guest book journal, so that I can remember in years to come all of the kindnesses the Lord is showering me with right now by way of family and friends.

6 comments:

  1. Kthryn! I didn't know you had this blog till you mom put it on the Campbell journal. So glad the surgeryi date was moved forword! Love, Aunt Lil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn.. The Lord is looking over you! Stay strong! I'm praying for you and your entire family. Hey I like both yall's Blogs!!!! :) Stephanie E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn - Love Both yall's Blogs! The Lord is watching over you! We will be praying for a SWIFT RECOVERY! God Bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a long time, Kathryn, but I haven't stopped praying for you. I've put your surgery on my calendar & I'll be praying. Trisha F.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's been a long time since you've heard from me, but the Lord has heard from me on your account. I'll be praying on the 5th.

    Trisha F.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Kathryn ... we'll try for the 3rd time.

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete