Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Working Joyfully

I returned to work this morning with a surprise left on my desk: a pile of paperwork and a long to-do list! Somehow, I had gotten in my brain that since yesterday was a federal holiday, most people would be off of work and hence I could return to the clean cubicle I had left last Thursday. Well, that dream didn't quite happen the way I anticipated. As the morning hours ticked by, I completed my responsibilities and checked them off my planner one by one. By 3:00pm, I left for home with a much shorter to-do list and a satisfied smile on my face. It had been a good, productive day.

Since I was a little girl, I've generally liked work, especially when it involved cleaning or organizing. Some of my favorite memories are of Saturdays when it was "work-around-the-home-together-as-a-family" day. Sure, I prefer some tasks over others. However, I can state that in the last two years, I've become even more thankful when I have the stamina and clarity of mind to work.

Today, I heard a co-worker complain about something she had to do. This person didn't grumble for long and I could empathize with her frustrations. However, spending significant time in the hospital has made me aware of the blessings of accomplishing jobs. Each day that I can help someone else or tackle my to-do lists, whether at home or my place of employment, is a gift from the Lord.

"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation." Philippians 2:14-15a