Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"Heaven(ly) Thoughts"

Today the sun came out for the first time in many days. It's still chilly, but the sun was a delight to see. At one point, my co-workers and I had our noses pressed against the windows watching the clouds fade away. It was like elementary school when even the whisper of "snow" had my friends and me running to the windows for a closer look. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and warm(er)... what a treat!

The last few days, I have been thinking a lot about Heaven. I think it's a combination of the dismal weather, my own HPS flare ups, and the news that several acquaintances (specifically Rhonda) have gone away to their eternal homes. At one point over the weekend, while lying quietly on my bed, the verse "Be still and know that I am God" came to mind. That Scripture, from Psalm 46:10, comforted my soul.

Then on Sunday morning when I didn't feel well enough to attend church, I instead listened to hymns and praise choruses broadcasted on the radio before falling into a deep, healing sleep. Ironically, most of the songs I heard were about Heaven. There was one chorus in particular that made me start to cry, because I imagined Rhonda singing the lyrics upon entering Heaven and seeing the Lord.