Thursday, March 27, 2008

Remicade Day

Since I'm doing Remicade every six weeks now, I've stopped collecting my "out patient" hospital identification bracelets. Maybe I should have saved them, but somehow it is not as special as it once was. Now, I can't wait until I can get home, cut the bracelet off my arm, and throw it away.

Remicade Day, though, it still special. I use my black bag, although Mom can't do my toes anymore because I'm in a room full of other people getting their infusions. I don't think they'd appreciate the smell of nail polish remover! Still, Remicade Day is an event. Since I go to the same place each six weeks, I'm beginning to develop a friendship with the nursing staff. They were pleasantly surprised to see me walking in, instead of using the wheelchair. In addition, they enjoyed meeting Qavah, since they had only seen pictures of her. The infusion itself went well, although the IV hurt my arm quite a lot. I'm learning that's just a part of the process. My cells don't know what to do with anything foreign, including an IV.

I have a headache tonight due to the saline but that shall pass soon enough. It's just good to be home. I say that because I remember many Spring days spent in the hospital. Mom would would describe the beauty when she visited me, so I could image Spring and Summer in my mind. But it was never like experiencing the real thing. Today, on our car ride to the medical center, Mom pointed out the Red Buds that are beginning to bloom. It's a beautiful site indeed and one that makes my heart leap with joy! I praise the Lord for these "normal" days, that are really "extraordinary" to me!