Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Childhood Memories

Yesterday night, I spent some time stamping. I recently bought three new sets, so that's a lot of stamps to try! Today, after my doctor's appointment, Mom and I shopped for groceries. It was rather crowded due to the impending forecast of a "wintry mix" tonight and tomorrow. Anyway, I bought a few more storage bins and then came home and re-organized my bedroom office. Now with a clean office, I finally feel ready to tackle that Senior paper! It's actually been a busy week, so I haven't gotten any schoolwork accomplished, but I hope to do some before Sunday.

There is a book I've been reading recently. It's titled
Jane Austen and Her Times, 1775-1817, authored by G.E. Mitton. I've never read a book related to Jane Austen quite like this one. Sometimes Mitton can be a bit technical in his observations of the 18th century. However, for any Jane Austen fan, it's definitely worth reading! Below is a quote I've been wanting to blog about for some time now:

"The impressions of childhood are invariably deep, and are cut with a clearness and minuteness to which none others of later times attain. Just as a child examines a picture in a storybook with anxious and searching care, while an adult gains only a general impression of the whole, so a child knows the place where it has played in such detail that every bough of the trees, every root of the lilacs, every tiny depression or ditch is familiar. And this Jane must have known the home at Steventon [where she spent much of her childhood]."
I've been pondering this quote for days as I observe Qavah playing and participating in the world around her. Children do pay more attention to the details of Life than adults. And it is fun to watch Qavah with storybooks! I love to read to myself, but reading to Qavah becomes an event in itself. Her comments add personality, texture, and attention to details that I often overlook in my hurriedness to finish the book. It's similar to the feeling you get when a 2-D decorating thought becomes a 3-D reality.

Mitton is correct when he exclaims that children know in detail where they've played. We've lived in our current home for almost eleven years. However, much of my "growing up" and "childhood play" occurred in our former home.

To this day, I still remember those play sites, sounds and feelings with vivid clarity. I remember my favorite indoor and outdoor play locations. On rainy days, Paul Burton and I would use laundry baskets and grownup fur coats to become lemmings. The basket was our home and Mom even let us eat some pieces of lettuce, like real lemming creatures. I also spent many hours with my home-made doll house that actually included two stairways and real lighting!

Outside, we had the coolest backyard with mini woods. On the side of the house opposite the garage we had those bushes that contain red berries. I remember as a little girl making dinner for my "family" out of leaves, sticks, and berries. It was so much fun to let my imagination explore, dream, and create. I also remember thinking as a child that my "play" world was
just as serious, if not more so, than Mom's "adult" world!

In our current home, I have "childhood" memories of the creek and now our backyard swing set. I'm thankful to have a little person in the house again, so we can remember the joys of "play". As an "adult," my play includes reading, writing, computers, friends and scrapbooking. However, I often observe Qavah and think to myself, "Her play is more fun than mine!" Thankfully, she's always ready for me to join her world.

5 comments:

  1. Oh! What fun!
    The picture of you and Paul as lemmings made me laugh! That just made my day I think. Very thoughtful and enjoyable blog. I can't wait to hear that you have "tackled" your project and have successfully finished. I am off to tackle my own work, and thankfully the Lord has given me a very snowy, restful day to do so. Ah. The goodness of the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your observations of childhood memories was so true. I remember so many things and places that I played as a child. My sister and I used to play in the linen closet when were little. We would climb up the shelves somehow and sit all curled up on the top shelf. I don't know what we were pretending but I do remember we had to stop playing in there because we were getting too heavy for the shelves, they kept collapsing on us! We are happy to hear that medications are working well and you are able to do the things that you love to do. I agree with your doctor at how well you look. God is so good. Praise the LORD! We love you and continue to pray for you daily. love, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kathryn!

    Of all my childhood, I dwell most upon the memories of when I was nine to eleven years old. That was the happiest time of my childhood, although I didn't realize it then. It was probably the most social part.

    Because I'm not very active these days, much of my childhood play memories don't resonate with me now. For me, my ability to imagine has become the big thing, sometimes even rewriting childhood.

    My Imagining has found an outlet in writing, and I happen to be writing a story about childhood. It's in the form of two eleven-year-old kids; and although the girl of the pair is remarkably mature and precocious, she has by no means forgotten how to have fun!

    I hope before too many more months go by to start a blog and post this and other stories in it.

    I hope you're feeling better, and that the painkillers have less of a grip on you.

    Love,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, had my childhood years in one home and then moved to another. My brother and I had the entire upstairs to ourselves at our childhood home, and the hours of play and creativity that unfolded there are incredible to remember! You describe these types of memories so well.

    It is so fun to have little ones around to remind us how to play. I have a cousin who lives one mile from me and has a little boy (age 2) who has brought so much joy to my life. Every moment in an opportunity for play when he is around. I love it!

    I'm so glad you are feeling up to blogging these days. It is a joy to get to read what you write.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know whether or not your granddad did this - I rather suspect he might have - but we used to play in the slate pile down by the coal bank. We'd dig into the slate a little to get a flat surface, then build little houses out of goldenrod, with the back of the house up against the slate pile. I expect your granddad could describe it in a way to give you a better understanding of what I'm trying to say.

    We also used to play in the barn on rainy days.

    Aunt Doris

    ReplyDelete