Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Blessed Be Your Name

This week, over all, has been much better than last week. Although I’m still dealing with some health issues, the Prednisone taper is going better than I expected. At least the bone pain is more of a “come and go” than “all-the-time” pain. I am thankful for the pain medication and bath soaks which help alleviate the most intense times.

Yesterday was a “bonus” day. I babysat Annelise for a short while. She is almost 4-months-old. It’s amazing how much love such a tiny human being can display. Her smiles and gentle baby gibberish provide “life” and hope to my otherwise complicated health world.

Later in the day, my parents and I visited the library. Actually, I had gotten ready in the morning to visit a friend with Mom. However, as the day went on, I became too weak to venture out. So while Mom visited, I slept. That meant that by the time evening came, I was perky and dressed up but had no place to go! Then, Mom had the wonderful idea to visit a library. So, Dad was the chauffeur and off we went across town to a library I had never seen before. It turned out to be one of the biggest libraries we have; A real feast for the senses! Mom and Dad browsed the rows and rows of videos for mystery movies while I perused the 20-cent bins for decorating magazines. All of us “hit the jackpot”. It took all three of our library cards to check out the eight mystery movies, while Dad bought me $4.50 worth of decorating ideas. On the way home, I exclaimed to my parents, “I feel rich!”

I am constantly amazed how gracious God is to me. Every day, He provides exactly what I need. On pain-filled days, sometimes just a call from a friend or Mom’s soothing touch is enough. Then there are days like yesterday where He gives me adventures that delight my soul. Today, I was reminded of a song titled Blessed Be Your Name that I used to sing in church. It was always one of my favorite choruses, because the lyrics were convicting, yet meaningful. Eight months later, this song means even more to me, because I’ve been challenged daily to live what I used to praise with my lips. Here are the lyrics:

Blessed Be Your Name (Matt Redman)

Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I’m found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I’ll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun’s shining down on me
When the world’s ‘all as it should be’
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there’s pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I’ll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name.
Comments:
  1. Mike Theesfield Says:

    Ah, libraries! I know the feeling! When I was in better health, I thought little of a two-hundred-mile round-robin trip on my motorcycle to visit two or three different libraries. I still have the cards from libraries all over western Pennsylvania. For me, it was pretty strictly about books. Books and periodicals were about all libraries had when I was growing up. If I try hard enough, I can remember every library I ever visited, and I have fond memories of most of them. I’m glad that you too find enjoyment in/from them.
    Cousin Mike

  2. Danae Says:

    Awesome! I love libraries! Which branch was it? Over Spring break I looked up all kinds of info on the Newberry Medal. I though maybe I should read as many as I can so I know of books to recommend my students. Well… I had better start now; there is one winner each year (since 1922), plus 3-4 honor books as well. It seems like I might be spending quite a bit of time at the library in the next few months… :)

    I miss you!

  3. Jennifer S. :-) Says:

    Katy,
    WOW!!! I love libraries!! I can’t wait to be finished with school and be able to go there for fun books instead of school books!! :-) I’m glad your day was nice and I hope you enjoy those movies and magazines. Hang in there!!
    Love and prayers,
    Jen :-)

  4. Julie Wensley Says:

    Hey Katy,
    I love that song. In fact, when we sang it in Bible Study, I told the girls about you when I introduced the song. The line that is so powerful is near the end “My heart will choose to say, Lord blessed be Your name.” You have continued to make that choice day after day, even “when the darkness closes in.” You are continually an inspiration to me. I love you Katy.

    ~Aunt Julie

  5. Karen Tillman Says:

    Katy, there is nothing like getting out of the house to make you feel refreshed. There are many days that I am stuck in the house, and if it weren’t for volunteering and the ocassional visits from my family and friends, I think I would go nuts. Of course I think that is one of the reasons I want so much to support my HPS family as much as I possibly can. I think it is also the reason I can sympathize with the different situations. God has given me the spiritual gift of mercy and it is sometimes a very burdensome gift, and at times it is the most delightful. Charles Stanley did a sermon on the spirtual gift of mercy once that really help me to understand a lot about myself that I never knew. It often amazes me how God puts people in my life and how I am always drawn to those in need. But it also makes me feel so blessed to be used of God in such a special way. I hope your day today is better than yesterday and the days just keep getting better and better.
    Love and Prayers
    Karen Tillman

  6. andrea russell Says:

    Hi Katy,

    this is also one of my favorite songs. I love the lyrics and the music :)
    Our God is awesome and he holds you so close and tight, can you feel it?

    I do love libraries as well. I used to get me the real crime books, and now I check out all kinds of christian books. How a life changes when you find the Lord. My life changed completely when I found Wellspring and through you all God!!

    Love ya
    Blessings Andrea

  7. Bob, Amy, Emily, Meredith and Abby Says:

    Katy,

    I just have to say that I love that song! I find myself pondering as I sing “Blessed be Your Name on a road marked with suffering….” Can I truly say that and mean it? But you have shown in your life that not only can you say that but you mean it with all your heart. He is the One that you hang onto. Your faith has been strengthened through all that has occured over the last several months. And through your testimony, I know that many others have been strengthened and probably convicted like me. You are in my thoughts every day, Katy. I hope to see you soon.

    All my love,
    Amy

  8. Beth Sprankle Says:

    Blessed be His name! Powerful song. Thank you for posting the lyrics. This song has so impacted my Ken that he listens to it regularly. Hence, all of us Sprankles have it completely “memorized and meditated on”, from the repetition. We just sang it again this past Sunday, and its meaning was ever new again.

    Thank you for magnifying the Lord through your road of suffering, and on days of sunshine as well. You will never know how much your life encourages others to follow close to Jesus no matter where the path leads.

    My heart will choose to say,
    Lord, blessed be Your name.